Read Through the Valley is Back for Spring

Krista Newman, Staff Writer
February 20, 2012
Filed under New Stories, Student Life

TVCC’s Read Through the Valley is back for the spring semester. The event started Jan. 10 and will last through April 25.

The next event will be at 12:15 p.m. – 1:15 p.m. Jan. 31 at the LRC classroom. The presentation scheduled is “Great Weather Catastrophes” by Dr. Michael Felty.

“Mardi Gras Fun and Foods” by Audrey Hawkins will be from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Feb. 21, in the Cafeteria Conference room. Students will be able to sample King Cake and a special New Orleans cuisine, listen to TVCC’s own Dixieland band, and view special beads and masks from Mardi Gras. A prize will be given to an attendee who wears the most unusual costume.

“Disaster and Mental Health” by Chip Chilton will be from 1:40 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. March 21 at the LRC classroom.

“New Orleans History” by Deidre Jones will be from 1:40 p.m. – 3 p.m. April 12 at the LCR classroom. The discussion will feature the films: “Hurricane in the Bayou” and “How Katrina Got into New Orleans.”

“Why New Orleans Matters” and “Other Ideas for Discussion” by Audrey Hawkins, Deidre Jones, Al Mariani and Dr. Milton Hudson will be from 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. April 24 in the Cafeteria Conference Room.

Reader’s Theatre Performance of “One Dead in Attic” will be performed at 11:15 a.m. April 25 in the auditorium by Dr. Joy Richmond and the Drama Department.

“One Dead in Attic” by author Chris Rose, is a collaboration of stories retelling the year and a half of life in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Rose offers observations, commentary, emotion, tragedy and even humor in his tales. The stories are about not only the dead but also the living, survivors and believers. “One Dead in Attic” captures New Orleans caught between an old era and a new one trying to emerge out of the flood water and back onto dry ground.

Be sure to mark your calendars for these upcoming events. The presentations are sure to be interesting and thought provoking.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!